Tofu Stir Fry and a Good Night's Sleep

Last night I had my first full night's sleep in a long time.  I actually felt a little refreshed as the alarm went off in the morning.  I checked my weight - 193.6 - so it's still coming down a little bit.

I was able to balance my blood sugar yesterday by making a loaf of Zucchini Bread and having a few slices throughout the day.  It's made from almond and coconut flour, but not as dense as you might think.  At the same time it was really filing.  This recipe reminds me of The Lord of the Rings were Legolas talks about Elvish Way Bread.  "One bite will fill a man's stomach."  It really kept me satisfied for hours.

For dinner I made a Tofu and Cashew Stir Fry from The Blood Sugar Solution - page 363.  It was really good, and filling to boot.  My only quandary now is what to do with all the extra snap peas and bok choi.  This is only the second time I've had bok choi, and the first didn't go so well.  I actually hated it.  But this time it was mixed in with several other vegetables and sauteed in sesame oil so it was pretty good.  Now to scour the recipes for something else to do with it.  I really hate wasting food.

Turns out Bok Choi is a type of cabbage.  I scoured the recipes in Joy of Cooking and found a few that look promising.  A lot of them have butter and milk, which I'm not supposed to have on this program.  I really don't know how dairy affects me - my biggest concern right now is the sugar.  Once I'm over the first six weeks I can try introducing dairy again to see how my body handles it.  On the other hand, a few years ago when I was doing low carb I didn't cut out dairy and still felt a lot better.  But in the meantime I have to do something with all this bok choi!

In our last two houses we had a compost bin in the backyard, and all of our vegetable scraps would go into it.  A few times a year it would get full, and I would pull a bunch of compost off the bottom and feed it into my garden bed.  I kept telling myself that one day it would make for some really rich soil.  But unfortunately my bed was too big and I never produced enough compost to really alter the soil.  It didn't help that the soil was pretty nutrient poor to begin with.  But over time I did see a slight difference.

We're living for a year in a townhouse, and there's no backyard to speak of - so no composting.  I'm hoping to have one again someday when we move into our more permanent home.  In the meantime I'm filling my days with music, cooking, karate, cub scouts, cleaning - I have a pretty full life.  Oh, and maybe I'll find a job soon too.  Until next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jan 1 - First Stab at Grocery Shopping and Meal Prep

Day 0 - Starting 2024 With My Health in Mind

Bok Choi and Scallion Scrambled Eggs